Definition (unless anything in the context of these rules otherwise implies)
- The Association: Shall mean The SRI LANKA NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF COUNSELLORS (SRILNAC) founded on Saturday the 7th September 1985 whereby founding member selected a President, two Vice Presidents, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer and seven other Executive Council Members from amongst those present to hold office for one year. A list of the founding is given in Annexure A to the Constitution.
- The Executive Council: Shall mean the Council comprising of President, two Vice President, Secretary, Vice Secretary, Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer and seven others elected by the general membership to hold office for one year, according to the rules laid out herein,
- The President: Shall mean the person elected as President of the Association at the inaugural meeting and thereafter annually by the members at the Annual General Meeting from amongst the members and such person shall hold office for one year and shall be eligible for re-election for a period of not more than 3 consecutive years.
- A Member: Shall mean any counsellor whose application for membership has been accepted by the Executive Council and registered thereafter as a Member of the Association.
- A Counsellor: Shall mean anyone who has received a training and has been certified as being competent to practice as a Counsellor by an institution recognized by this Association for training of Counsellors either in Sri Lanka or abroad.
- Counselling: Shall mean the helping process involved in the growth-stimulating relationship that a trained and competent counsellor gives a person or group who calls for help in coping with a problem, whereby the latter is helped to explore, understand and initiate action constructively using the person’s own potential towards the effective handing of the problem. This helping process normally takes the form of a session or a number of sessions each consisting of a series of interaction between the person who has the problem, and the counsellor resultant in the growth and change of behavior in the former.
- Establishment of The SRI LANKA NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF COUNSELLORS (SRILNAC) is hereby established on this 7th September1985.
The Objectives of the Association shall be:
- To bring together qualified and competent counsellors who are practicing in Sri Lanka, by registration of such persons.
- To maintain a register of institution in Sri Lanka, competent to train counsellors.
- To take steps to maintain high standards of counsellor training, assessment of competency of such trainees and the service rendered by such counsellors.
- To draw up and promote the observance of a Code of Ethics for Counsellors.
- To promote ongoing study and research for the advancement of counselling in Sri Lanka.
- To promote collaboration and exchange of experiences and expertise with other national, regional or international bodies (outside Sri Lanka) dedicated to the advancement of counselling.
- The membership of the Association shall consist of counsellors as regular or affiliate members.
- The application for membership of any counsellor shall be considered by the executive council prior to registration. Such application must be acceptable to the majority of the executive council to permit registration. The executive council will have the sole right to accept or reject such application and allocate the appropriate membership category.
- Membership may be terminated either by resignation of the member or by the Executive Council (using a majority vote) if after careful inquiry any member is found to be acting in contravention of the objectives of the Association or for violation of the Code of Ethics. The member concerned shall not contest the right of the Executive Council to take such steps.
- Termination is effected by removal of the name of such member from the register of the Association.
- A member who does not attend three (3) consecutive Annual General Meeting without due cause and apology shall cause the Association to delete that person’s name from the register.
- A regular or affiliate member who has not paid membership fee for two (2) consecutive years shall receive a final reminder by registered post. In the absence of a response, that person shall lose all membership privileges.
- Each membership or affiliate member on enrolment shall pay a registration fees of Rs 600/= and an annual membership fee of Rs 2000/= in advance for the current year or the remaining part thereof.
- A member on enrolment may also opt to pay registration fee and life membership fee of Rs 5000/= in place of regular annual fees.
- Each Sri Lankan Institution recognized by the Association for training of counsellors shall pay on recognition an initial fee of Rs 1000/= and an annual fee of Rs 500/=
- The Association reserves the right to increase, reduce or waive the fees as is found necessary for the furtherance of its goal.
- The Executive Council will be responsible for the proper collection and disbursement of all fees and for the generation, handling and accounting of all monies needed for the execution of the goals, projects, plans, activities and services of the Association.
- An Audited Statement of Accounts shall be submitted by the Executive Council to the Association at each Annual General Meeting.
- The year ending on 31st of July shall be the financial year of the Association.
- An Annual General Meeting of the Association shall be held in the month of September every year. Four weeks notice of such Annual General Meeting shall be given by the Secretary of the Association.
- A Special General Meeting of the Association may be called by the Secretary at the request of the Executive Council or upon receipt of a request in writing, signed by fifteen (15) or more members of the association. Such a request shall state the purpose for which a Special General Meeting is being summoned and shall give at least ten (10) days notice to the members of such meeting.
- All paid up members of the Association shall be entitled to attend and vote at an Annual General Meeting or a Special General Meeting of the association.
- Members of the Association shall have one vote each and the President of the Association shall if necessary, be entitled to exercise a casting vote.
- The quorum for any General or Special General Meeting shall be one third of the total number of registered members who are not on overseas leave.
- Meeting shall be presided over by the President of the Association or in the absence of the President, by one of the Vice Presidents or in their absence by a member elected by those present at the meeting.
Notice of Meetings.
Notice of Annual General Meeting and Special General Meeting shall be given by
posting individual letter to all members.
All offices in the Executive Council of the Association shall be filled initially at
the inaugural meeting of the Association and thereafter at each Annual General Meeting from amongst the members. Should there be a contest; election will be by secret ballot.
- The Executive Council shall consist of a President, two Vice Presidents, Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer, and seven (7) others and will serve a period of one (1) year. The Council shall be elected from amongst the General Membership at the Annual General Meeting. All such Executive Council Members are eligible for re-election for a period of not more than three (3) consecutive years in the same capacity.
- The Executive Committee shall meet at least once every other month and the quorum shall be five (5).
- Where any member of the Executive Council ceases to be a member by reason of the person’s resignation, death or termination of membership, such a vacancy may be filled by the Executive Council by nominating another member from the General Membership for the remaining period.
Power of the Executive Council
- The Executive Council acting in accordance with the objectives of the Association and the decisions taken in the Executive Council meetings have the right to hold, acquire, hire, rend, mortgage, sell or purchase, donate or receive by way of donation any movable or immovable property, in the furtherance of the goal of the Association.
- The Executive Council has the right to accept and terminate the membership of any member. Where the Executive Council is divided in opinion a decision will be taken by majority vote.
- The Executive Council shall be empowered with the planning and execution of all projects and activities in furtherance of the goals of the association bearing in mind the wishes of membership as expressed at the General or Special General Meeting and to recruit and employ the necessary staff for the work of the Association and to enter into other agreements which become necessary in the course of the Association’s work.
At each Annual General Meeting of the Association the members shall elect an
Auditor or Auditors for the ensuing year. At least one Auditor shall be a
qualified Accountant. If the Auditor dies or resigns the Executive Council
shall appoint another Auditor to perform his function until the next Annual
Donation and Income.
All donations, legacies, bequest, income and other monies which accrue to the
Association shall be invested in accordance with the decision of the Executive
Keeping and Operation of Accounts.
There shall be a general bank Account kept by the Treasurer, subject to the
approval of the Executive Council. The Treasurer may keep other special
accounts for such special purposes as may be deemed, suitable. All expenses
of and incidental to the maintenance and operation of the Association
including the payment of rent, salaries, running expenses, repair, insurance and
all other current outgoings shall be paid by the general account and other
accounts a the Executive Council may determine, provide that all capital
expense of Rs 500/= and over shall be incurred only with the prior approval of
the Executive Council.
Operation of Accounts.
All such bank accounts shall be operated with the signature of two persons,
namely the Treasurer and the President or in their absence one of the Vice
Investment of Special Funds
All or part of the monies not required for current expenditure shall be
invested by the treasurer, in such securities as may be legally permissible,
subject to the approval of the Executive Council.
The Advisory Panel shall consist of a maximum of seven persons nominated
with their consent by the Association in General Assembly, these being
persons of eminence in the field of Health, Behavioral Science, Social
Service, Religion, Law or other allied Profession, who are also interested in
the advancement of Counselling. The Advisory Panel may be invited by the
Executive Council to assist them in their work or to advise the Association in
plans and projects.
The Association recognizes the Institutions listed in the annexure B to this
Constitution, as institutions whose certificates of competency
in counselling would be accepted for purpose of membership in the
The Association reserves the right to recognize other institutions of
training and to withdraw recognition already given if the Association is
satisfied that there are valid reason for so doing.
Should the Association cease to exist or it is decided by 3/4 i.e. 75% of its
members to wind up , the net assets after payment of all liabilities subject to
any court, shall be gifted to a charitable Institution or Institutions according
to the decision of the Executive Council.
Under no condition shall any part of the assets of the Association be
distributed among the members.
Amendment of the Constitution
The Constitution may be amended by a resolution passed by 2/3 majority of the members present at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special General Meeting specially called for this purpose, provided, however, that section 3 of the Constitution may not be amended except by unanimous vote of the Executive Committee and 2/3 majority vote of the members present at the Annual General Meeting or at the Special General Meeting.